Supervising Human Resources Analyst
$6,732 - $9,189/Month
FINAL FILING DATE: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Summary of Position
Under direction of the Director of Human Resources and the Assistant Director of Human Resources the Human Resources Department seeks a seasoned human resources professional to supervise the planning, direction and review of the work performed by human resources teams in the areas of recruitment and exam, final selection and on-boarding of new hires, classification and compensation, ADA accommodations, personnel transactions and employee relations including investigations. This individual will instill confidence and be approachable, while being a strong coach and leader. In addition, the Supervising Human Resources Analyst will work collaboratively with Human Resources Program Managers to provide recommendations for the development and revisions of personnel programs, rules, policies and procedures to the Director of Human Resources. The Supervising Human Resources Analyst will oversee and manage special projects and serve as a resource to the County Administrative Officer, Elected Officials, Department Heads, managers and supervisors.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment may be used to fill current and future vacancies on a temporary or permanent basis.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will be personable and have a proven track record demonstrating his/her knowledge of:
• Have demonstrated success in building cohesive and high functioning teams and the principles and
practices of effective supervision.
• Principles and practices of public sector human resources management, including the administration of
recruitment, examination, classification and compensation programs.
• Job analysis techniques, including requirements, employment practices, purpose, methods and
• Organizational development, worker’s compensation, automated personnel transactions, absence/leave
management, employee benefits, performance assessment, grievance and discipline.
• Research methods, data collection and sampling techniques and statistical analysis.
• Federal, state and local legislation pertaining to employment practices, equal employment and affirmative
The successful applicant will also have the ability to:
• Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with others, including County officials and
managers, employees and the public.
• Coordinate, organize and manage the delivery of complex, varied services utilizing team-based
• Communicate effectively in writing, including preparation of administrative and statistical reports, and make
effective and persuasive oral presentations.
• Understand, interpret and apply appropriate provisions of applicable laws, ordinances, rules, regulations,
memoranda of understanding and operating procedures.
• Be open-minded, fair, equitable and conscientious.
• Handle sensitive matters with tact and professionalism.
EXAMPLES OF EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/TRAINING
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically:
Five years of progressively responsible working level human resources work, which included complex and varied experience in major areas of public sector human resources management comparable to that of a Senior Personnel Analyst with Monterey County.
Completion of all course work leading to a Bachelor’s Degree in Personnel Administration, Public Administration, Business Administration, Industrial Relations or a closely related field.
REQUIRED CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License or the employee must be able to provide suitable
transportation, which is approved by the appointing authority.
For a complete job description, please visit:
If not applying on-line:
Please number your response. Include your name and the title of the position for which you are applying at the top of the page.
Responses to these Supplemental Questions must be submitted with your application materials. Applications received without Supplemental Question Responses will not be considered. A resume, cover letter, application, etc. will not be accepted as a substitute for responses to these questions. Failure to provide a complete response to these questions will eliminate you from further consideration. Your response to the questions is an integral part of the selection process.
□ I have read and understand the supplemental question instructions.
2. Describe your experience consulting with department heads on matters of policy. What did you do to gain
concurrence? Please cite a specific example that demonstrates your ability to foster collaboration.
3. Describe your work experience managing and overseeing the following. Please be sure to include your
role, level of responsibility and the types of issues managed.
• Recruitment, exam, selection
• Classification and compensation
• Employee relations and performance management
• Policy and procedure development
4. Please describe your experience supervising subordinate staff. Tell us about your role, how many
employees you supervised and about any specific challenges you may have faced with supervision and
how those challenges were met.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
• The selection process is tentative and applicants will be notified if changes are made.
• The competitive process includes submittal of required application materials: a completed Monterey
County Application and responses to the Supplemental Questions.
• For a guaranteed review, all application materials must be received in the Human Resources Office by
Wednesday, August 30, 2017.
• Applicants who fail to complete a County Application and response to Supplemental Questions will not be
considered for this position. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of required application materials.
• Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be the most
appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the selection process. To further assess
applicant’s possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-
exam exercise, performance examination, and/or written examination.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package that includes 23 days of paid time off, 10 holidays/year; health, dental, vision, life insurance, and CALPERS retirement.
To view the “X” Unit Benefit Summary, please visit our website:
This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies and Practices Resolution prevail over this listing.
If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your rate of pay will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed in the summary.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following required materials:
• County of Monterey Employment Application
• Response to supplemental questionnaire
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED FROM AND SUBMITTED TO:
County of Monterey
Human Resources Department
Attention: Ginger Ramirez
168 W. Alisal Street, 3rd Floor
Salinas, CA 93901
Or APPLY ON-LINE at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/montereycounty/default.cfm
Special Note: This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. Exact benefits are listed in the Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or benefits summary sheet and prevail. If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call Monterey County Human Resources (831) 759-6723. Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.