Decatur, IL (pop. 73,500) Dynamic municipal government seeks skilled public sector Human Resources professional with exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership and management experience. Decatur is an established community in central Illinois that has a rich history and an impressive economic outlook. Decatur is a family oriented community and provides its residents and visitors with a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and entertainment opportunities. Located 40 miles from the state capital in Springfield and practically equidistant to Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis, Decatur is situated in a prime geographic location. Decatur recently ranked as a top 12 Best Illinois Cities for Families, a Top 50 Best City for Global Trade, one of the Top 50 Safest Cities in Illinois and a top city in the country for physicians to live.
The City of Decatur Human Resources Department has five employees, serves an employee population of 500, and has a departmental budget of $615,000. The Human Resources Director serves as the Chief EEO Officer, ADA Compliance Officer, IMRF Authorized Agent and plans, organizes, directs and sets forth the work of the Human Resources Department. The Department provides human resources expertise to all City departments and the Decatur Public Library, and provides staff assistance to the City’s Civil Service Commission and Human Relations Commission. The Human Resources Director acts as lead negotiator for the City in labor relations matters when assigned by the City Manager. The Director is appointed by the City Manager and serves on the Manager’s executive leadership team.
The City is seeking:
• Strong leadership and communication skills.
• Managed a municipal human resources department in a full-service community.
• Demonstrate expertise in authoring and administering municipal human resources policies and procedures.
• Played a significant role in municipal collective bargaining, including units covering public safety employees.
• Extensive experience with Civil Service, merit based performance appraisal systems, affirmative action, wellness, HRIS, and organizational development and training.
• Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Organizational Development or related field.
• Must have at least four years’ experience in a municipal human resources management position.
• Residency within the corporate limits of Decatur is required within one year.
Starting salary range: $82,600 to $115,000 +/- DOQ, with potential to reach $134,400. Candidates should apply online by March 31, 2017 with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to Joellen Earl. Tel: 847-380-3238. Equal Opportunity Employer.