Human Resources Consultant
This position resides in the Human Resources Department and will plan, design, develop and implement initiatives and programs which focus on diversity and inclusion for City of Austin applicants and employees.
- Creating comprehensive recruitment strategies, including facilitating internship programs
- Establishing partnerships with targeted schools/organizations
- Developing and implementing marketing strategies and outreach in collaboration with organizational recruiters
- Collaborating with the Commission on Quality of Life, City of Austin affinity groups and the City of Austin Equity Office in developing initiatives to recruit and retain a diverse workforce
- Providing advice and counsel to management, committees, stakeholders and employee groups on a broad range of human resources issues and decisions within the area of specialization
- Providing training/presentations on strategies, policies and procedures
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the American with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
- Plans, designs, develop, implements, and evaluate major human resources programs within the area of specialization for city wide use.
- Provides advice and counsel to management and other employee groups on a broad range of human resources issues and decisions within the area of specialization.
- Identifies, analyze, and recommends solutions for various human resources problems within the area of specialization, monitoring implementation of agreed upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
- Advise and influence management in making sound human resources related decisions within the area of specialization.
- Analyze morale indicators and other personnel measurements such as but not limited to surveys, turnover, and grievances, and present recommendations within the area of specialization for corrective action programs.
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws, including reporting requirements.
- Conducts training to departments in changes in policies, personnel procedures and classification programs.
- Observes, interviews, and survey employees and conduct group meetings to collect job, organizational, and occupational information.
Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Provide leadership for groups including other professionals and support staff in the area of specialization.
- May manage entire program or programs.
- Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
- Provide direction and/or guidance to less experienced human resources personnel.
- Provide training to managers and others on human resources issues.
This position will work at and travel among various locations.
Job Requirements (Optional):
- Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major coursework in a related field plus four (4) years of human resources experience in the human resources specialty assigned.
- Experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Experience in helping organizations to create culturally diverse and inclusive workplaces.
- Experience in performing utilization comparison analysis to assess the diversity of the workforce by job groups.
- Experience in designing, developing and implementing diversity education strategies
- Experience in teaching organizations how to attract talent across cultures
How To Apply (Optional):
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. You must provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered and contact information for previous employers.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a completed employment application.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
- Responses to the supplemental questions are used for initial screening only.
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
- A skills assessment tests may be administered to candidates selected for interview.
This position does not require a criminal background investigation.
If you are interested in this City of Austin job opportunity please apply at the City of Austin website at this link.