The City of Edwardsville, IL (pop. 25,000) is the county seat and the third oldest City in Illinois. While just 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis, the City's location allows it to simultaneously tap into all amenities of an urban existence while maintaining a vibrant downtown, an abundance of varied restaurants, small, locally owned shops, and large chain shopping areas. In 2010, Family Circle magazine named Edwardsville third of their "Top 10 Best Towns for Families." Edwardsville is also home to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.
The City of Edwardsville is currently seeking a full-time Director of Human Resources. This position has the following job responsibilities:
1. Develops HR policies, procedures and services and ensures compliance with Federal and State laws.
2. Partners with Department Heads and hiring managers to lead the recruiting process for open positions. Responsible for advertising, resume review and candidate screening, joint interviews and hiring selection.
3. Administers and/or oversees all aspects of Human Resources for City employees, including but not limited to:
- Payroll and Benefits
- Employee relations including investigations and performance management
- Hiring and Terminations
- Leaves of Absence, including FMLA and Military Leave
- Workers’ Compensation injury reporting & follow-up
- Retirement benefits including 457(b) plan
- HR related training and education
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Job description maintenance
- Personnel records management and maintenance
4. Assigns tasks/projects and supervises work of Payroll & Benefits Coordinator and Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
5. Serves as a member of the City’s collective bargaining team assisting with contract negotiations, labor relations matters and Union grievances.
6. Prepares and manages HR budget on an annual basis to include all employee training and travel costs.
7. Assists in the design and selection of employee benefit packages. Serves as the Chairperson for the Employee Health Insurance Advisory Committee.
8. Serves as the City liaison to the City’s Board of Fire & Police Commissioners assisting with all aspects of the hiring and promotional process of the City’s Firefighter/EMT’s and Patrol Officers.
9. Serves as the Chair of the Employee Safety Committee. Schedules employee safety training as needed. Leads quarterly committee meetings.
10. Serves as the Chair of the Employee Special Events committee to schedule and coordinate employee appreciation events.
11. Assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, or a closely related field. Master’s Degree in related field preferred.
• Minimum of ten (10) years of professional level experience working in human resources with broad level of human resources responsibilities including recruiting, benefits and employment law required or eight (8) years experience and a related Master’s Degree.
• 3-5 years prior supervisory experience required.
• HR experience in a Union environment preferred.
• SHRM or HRCI or similar HR certification preferred.
• Ability to speak, hear, write and communicate effectively and clearly in English.
• Must be able to make oral presentations and written reports to employees, City committees and City Council.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels internally and externally.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships and communicate in a diplomatic and respectful manner with City staff and elected officials.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in a responsible manner.
• Sound judgment and strong problem-solving skills.
• Must be computer literate and possess competency in Microsoft Office software (specifically Excel, Outlook, Word and Publisher; basic knowledge of PowerPoint) including excellent keyboarding skills.
• Ability to operate required office equipment in order to send and receive information with necessary optical, auditory and manual dexterity.
• Ability to use a keyboard to enter, retrieve or transform words or data.
• Ability to manage multiple actions/projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks/projects and work independently in a high-volume and fast-paced environment.
• Flawless attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent proofreading skills required; ability to closely examine a computer screen or written reports and check document for errors.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to walk, stand or sit for one hour or more at a time.
• Ability to lift or carry objects weighing 5-20 pounds.
Additional information about the position can be found at www.cityofedwardsville.com/hr.
To apply, mail or email your completed employment application or resume to:
City of Edwardsville
Attn: Human Resources
118 Hillsboro Ave
P.O. Box 407
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Application Deadline: August 9, 2017 5:00pm